Sie sind hier
We are looking for two (2)
Junior Advisors in the Field of Small Arms and Light Weapons Control (SALW)
Full time / TV-L 13 / 2 years / at the earliest possible date
The positions are designed to provide a career-oriented introduction to the field of SALW control with a particular focus on physical security and stockpile management (PSSM). The junior advisors will provide content and administrative support to BICC’s advisory projects focusing on capacity development and advice in PSSM. Besides working at the duty station in Bonn (Germany), the successful candidate will be sent on short-term assignments to national and international partner organizations. The junior advisors will moreover attend relevant training courses and support project activities in different locations.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Provide content and administrative support to the programme management in Bonn and to the advisors in the field;
- Gain an expert’s knowledge in SALW-control and relate it to policy advice as well as to research tasks;
- Familiarize yourself with the work of our national and international partner organizations in the field of SALW control and particular of PSSM;
- Assist in organizing and implementing sub-regional and regional SALW control project activities in various project locations and in Germany;
- Assist in organizing (high-level) events on SALW control. Under close supervision, support other project activities (e.g. PSSM assessments) in different locations (Sahel region, West Africa, East Africa) and in close cooperation with our national and regional partner organisations;
- Participate in relevant training courses.
- Advanced university degree in Social Sciences or related fields, preferably with a focus on peace and conflict studies, security studies or development co-operation;
- Proven interest in conflict resolution and research and/or development co-operation or SALW control;
- First work experience (e.g. gained through internships) in development and/or international organizations and/or research institutions focusing on conflict-/security-related topics; international experience is an asset;
- Ability to work in a team; cultural and context sensitivity;
- Good communication and writing skills;
- Willingness to travel to tropical regions, including remote locations;
- Language skills including excellent spoken and written English; good working knowledge of French; fluency in German is mandatory;
- Fitness for service in tropical countries.
What we offer:
This position is initially limited to a two-year contract. Payment follows the collective wage agreement for the public service of the Länder (TV-L), wage group 13 and includes social benefits customary at BICC.
We put great emphasis on the further training of our staff and offer candidates the chance to work in an international research institute at the nexus of research and policy advice that provides the interdisciplinary team with opportunities to network with policymakers and in the international academic context. The BICC team is recruited from a variety of countries; the working language is English.
BICC supports the work-life balance of its staff through a highly flexible work time system and is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications by severely disabled persons.
How to apply:
Please send your application to Mrs. Susanna Balkenhol (email@example.com) solely by email. It should include a cover letter, CV (please use the Europass CV (europass.cedefop.europa.eu)) and certificates and consist of one pdf, max. 5 MB. Please indicate “6.18” in the reference line. Mrs Balkenhol will also be available for questions.
Applications will be reviewed immediately after reception. Therefore, interviews can take place at any time.